Thursday, February 27, 2014

D&D@40 Blog Hop: Days 26 & 27

Well, this here challenge is almost over! I have to admit, I'm looking forward in particular to tomorrow's topic, because I have a lot to say about what D&D taught me. I'm also interested to read my fellow Blog Hoppers' posts on that subject. Now, on to today's topics (it's a two-fer!):
 
Day 26: Do you still game with the people who introduced you to the hobby?
 
Sadly, no. Ah, I do so miss those long-ago days when I gamed with the guys with which I grew up. We've tried now and then in recent years to get back to the roleplaying table, with only limited success. I have to stress that said limitation was on my part, really. How so? Well, I'm pretty sure I have ADD, and I'm not just talking about Gamer ADD. As a result, my attention span for RPGs has, at times over the last few years, been veeeery short.
 
Basically, my two old friends and I met so infrequently to roleplay back in 2010 (see the above link to a post from that year) that my ADD (whichever kind) drove me insane...rendering me unable to hack the slow progress of my campaign. And I called it quits.
 
I know. That's really lame, shitty, and no good excuse...especially in light of how, like many gamers my age or older, whine about wanting to get the old group back together. But there you have it, folks.
 
Well, actually, I may be too hard on myself. The two old friends didn't seem too devastated that we didn't keep that particular campaign going. Not sure what that says about the quality, but there you go.
 
Thought: I'm not sure if my regular ADD and Gamer ADD means I have a double dose of the condition when it comes to RPGs, but it sure feels like it sometimes.
 
Day 27: If you had to do it all over again, would you do anything different when you first started gaming?
 
Hmm. I would have done it more often. I would have been a player more often, rather than mostly DM. I would savor the insane amount of free time I had available to me for the hobby! I would reach out to more people beyond my group to find "fresh blood," and not suffer under the exploits of wackjob gamers.
 
Okay, I think I need to stop musing on that...otherwise, it might become a rather endless rabbit hole of nostalgia...

No comments:

Post a Comment